Recording Policy Information
Student Booking Information
- Blair Scheduling & Reservation Services
- Student Recital Booking
- Student Recital Handbook
- Reserving a Practice Room
- Recording Services
- Friday Student Recital
Contact Blair Scheduling CoordinatorChristine Claffey Blair Scheduling Coordinator Vanderbilt University Blair School of Music 2400 Blakemore Avenue Nashville, TN 37212 615.322.7508, direct 615.322.343.0324, fax
Blair students (Undergrads & Pre-College students enrolled in performance lessons) who wish to use a performance hall to record a CD or DVD for an audition may do so by following the scheduling process & recording policies.
Students will normally be limited to two recording sessions of two hours each per semester. Exceptions may only be made through a special recommendation by a faculty member.
Recording sessions should be scheduled no more than four weeks ahead, which helps avoid late cancellations, and no less than a week ahead of time if using an engineer.
Recordings are only available to Blair students & faculty, we do not do recording sessions for groups or performers who are not affiliated with Blair.
There are three different options if you choose to use Turner Hall or Choral Hall for recording purposes. Please follow the instructions listed under your preferred option in order to schedule your recording.
Option 1 - Recording in the hall with one of the Blair technicians
- Student checks with Scheduling Coordinator Christine Claffey via email or (615) 322-7508 about possible dates. For pre-college students, the student's instructor should be the one to check for dates.
- Student secures faculty approval and makes sure accompanist is available for the target date. Arranging a second-choice date is a good idea, just in case.
- Student contacts Technical Director Joe DeBusk via email or (615) 322-4919 to arrange for a recording engineer.
- Having secured agreements with all the necessary parties, the student returns to the scheduling coordinator. If the desired date is still available, the date may be booked through EMS by the sponsoring faculty member.
- One week prior to recording, student double-checks all arrangements and pays recording engineer. If using a recording engineer, he must be paid in advance. The current fee is $72 for up to 2 hours of recording, any additional hour is $36 per hour. This fee should be made out directly to the engineer.
Option 2 - Recording in the hall with your own or your teacher's equipment
This type of request may be made through EMS by the sponsoring faculty member. While scheduling please click "No" on the details page where it says "If this is for a recording, will you need an engineer?"
Option 3 - Recording in the hall with an independent recording engineer
Students or faculty who want to hire an independent recording engineer will be charged a fee of $36 per hour for a Blair technical staff member to be present during the hours reserved for the recording if scheduled after 5 p.m. or on weekends.
To schedule, please follow the same steps listed in Option 1.