Blair Academy at Vanderbilt
Blair Academy at Vanderbilt comprises the precollege and adult programs of the Blair School of Music. Its mission is to provide the highest caliber of music education for children, youth and adults, so they may achieve their full potential as artists, citizens and leaders.
To achieve this mission, Blair Academy at Vanderbilt has identified these goals:
- To serve students of all ages and ability levels in a unique, blended community of musicians. Precollege and university students study with the same nationally renowned faculty in a challenging and welcoming environment.
- To strive for continued and growing excellence in teaching and musical performance, attracting and challenging the most talented, gifted and dedicated young musicians in the region.
- To ensure, through a robust need- and merit-based scholarship program, that financial considerations do not deter qualified students from enrolling in our programs.
- To expand our commitment to the principles of equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging. We seek to create community partnerships to broaden our student and family population, and extend our ability to share our resources with the broader Nashville community.
- To continue research and innovation in teaching, learning and performing, as well as to work collaboratively with other colleges and departments at Vanderbilt.
- To serve the community and advocate for music education by offering concerts, lectures and recitals free of charge. We actively partner with area schools and arts organizations to promote music education.
- To be a resource for the greater Nashville community and beyond; a place where teachers and organizations can learn and take inspiration from our unique precollege and adult program model, and the specific programs within it.
Current Course Offerings and Student Handbook
- Summer 2020 offerings are listed in the menu on the right side of this page.
- Download the 2019-20 Blair Academy Student Handbook.
- Register for classes and programs via our online registration portal. Need help with the online system, VUPace? User guides are available for download for new students and for returning students.
Instruction at Blair Academy
Blair Academy offers individual lessons for children, youth and adults in all orchestral instruments and in piano, voice, organ, harpsichord, guitar, saxophone, euphonium, folk instruments including mandolin, fiddle and dulcimer, steel drum, and a variety of jazz instruments. Group instruction is available in piano, fiddle and dulcimer. Suzuki instruction in violin and cello includes both private and group instruction.
Chamber Music, Camerata, and Collaborative Piano
Chamber Ensembles. Studying, rehearsing and performing music with others in chamber music groups can be exciting and deeply rewarding. Small instrumental groups have weekly coaching sessions and practice times, culminating in a final performance. Students are active participants in the collaborative process, gaining a greater knowledge of ensemble techniques and widening their musical perspective. All ages are encouraged to participate.
Blair Camerata is an intermediate precollege, conductor-less string ensemble. The class provides fun sight-reading experience, and students develop chamber music communication skills and leadership. Blair Camerata performs three concerts each semester.
Collaborative Piano class helps students develop skills to work with different instrumental partners. Learn how to develop teamwork and confidence in making music with others. Pianists in grades 7 and up and are welcome.
Classes for Children, Youth and Adults
Kindermusik classes are offered for infants to children age 5 and their caregivers. Blair Academy's Kindermusik program has obtained Maestro status from Kindermusik and is listed in the Top 5 percent of all Kindermusik programs in the United States.
Youth classes include interactive, self-guided Music Theory courses that progress from elementary to advanced theory and composition; Music History courses that explore music's historical, cultural and social development; Musicianship courses to learn to identify, write and produce music in real time; Collaborative Piano and Accompanying; and Alexander Technique.
Adult students may enroll in a variety of classes, including Symphony 101, New Ears for Music and the Orchestra, which explores the history, culture and sounds of symphonic literature and more; Great Music, Great Films; Blair Hit Songwriter Series, where songwriters connect, share and learn from some of Music City's finest; Tai Chi for Stress Release; and interactive Music Theory classes.
Blair Academy offers an array of ensembles designed for varying ages and levels of musical expertise: