Nashville Summer Orchestral Institute
Dates: Monday, May 27-Friday, May 31, 2019
The 2019 Nashville Summer Orchestral Institute at Blair will feature the NSOI Concerto Competition, an intensive orchestral experience, master classes, section rehearsals and a final concert featuring the Concerto Competition winner. Faculty will include Blair professors and Nashville Symphony Orchestra members. The NSOI is open by audition to students in grades 8-12, college students, graduate students and adults.
How to apply
1. Complete the NSOI online application.
2. Audition repertoire is a prepared solo (1-2 pages) of your choice. You may post your recording to YouTube with a numerical code and email the code to Dr. Carol Nies; or you may send your recording to her via a Dropbox link.
3. Musicians who are accepted into the NSOI must register through our online portal to reserve your position. NSOI 2019 tuition is $165. Limited scholarship aid is available.
The priority deadline for NSOI admission and scholarship aid is April 8. You may apply after this date, but NSOI positions are limited and are usually filled by the priority deadline.
College students and adults may apply for a limited number of NSOI fellowships or for regular admission (see audition information above). NSOI Fellowship recipients will receive a complete tuition scholarship and the opportunity to serve as a principal musician in the NSOI Orchestra.
How to apply for a fellowship:
1. Complete the NSOI online fellowship application.
2. Audition repertoire is a prepared solo your choice. You may email your audition recording directly to Carol Nies; or you may post your recording to YouTube with a numerical code and email the code to Nies; or you may send your recording to her via a Dropbox link.
The deadline for NSOI Fellowship Applications is February 25. You may apply after this date, but NSOI Fellowship positions are very limited and have always been filled by the priority deadline.
For more information, contact Carol Nies, 615-322-5815.
2019 NSOI Concerto Competition
The NSOI Concerto Competition is open to all NSOI members (including Fellowship members).
To enter the 2019 NSOI Concerto Competition:
1. Send a video recording of your concerto movement by Dropbox link or a YouTube private numerical link to: Carol.Nies@Vanderbilt.edu. The deadline for all video recordings is April 25. Winners of the 2018 NSOI Concerto Competition are not eligible to enter the Concerto Competition again until 2020.
2. Complete the online 2019 NSOI Concerto Competition Application.
3. Send in the $20 2019 NSOI Concerto Competition application fee to:
NSOI Concerto Competition
Dr. Carol Nies
2400 Blakemore Ave.
Nashville, TN 37212
The check should be made out to the Blair School of Music with a memo note of: 2019 NSOI Concerto Competition fee.