The first round of this year’s Collegiate Concerto Competition will be held on Saturday, January 19, in the Instrumental Rehearsal Hall at the Blair School of Music, from 9 a.m. until finished.
As many as 10 finalists will be selected to perform in the final round at 7 p.m. Sunday, January 20, in Ingram Hall. This round is open to the public, and performers have a time limit.
Forms are available outside Felix Wang’s office, Room 3161. Please fill out this form according to the instructions, taking special care to legibly print all required information, and turn it in to the mailbox of Trisha Johns in the main Blair office, no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, December 14.
Scheduling will take place as soon as possible after applications are turned in. The schedule will be posted outside the Main Office and on Professor Wang’s door at the beginning of the spring semester. Students should make sure to line up a pianist before submitting the application.
Please review the competition rules and guidelines, and contact Felix Wang with any questions.
Vanderbilt Concerto Competition Rules and Eligibility Requirements
- Any undergraduate student who is enrolled in lessons at the Blair School of Music is eligible to compete.
- Prior winners of the Concerto Competition are not eligible.
- Singers are eligible to compete with concert repertoire written specifically for voice and orchestra. Operatic and Oratorio arias are not eligible.
- You are limited to one movement (no time limit) of a solo with orchestral accompaniment, OR you may play more than one movement (from the same work) if the total duration does not exceed 12 minutes.
- The time limit of the first round audition will likely be less than 8 minutes, although the judges reserve the right to hear as much as necessary.
- You must provide TWO copies of the score for the jury.
- You must have an accompanist for the audition.
- Please have your accompanist make cuts to lengthy tuttis.
- Memorization is not required, but if music is used for the audition, it must also be used for the performance.
- You are only allowed to submit one application per year.
- Winning repertoire from the preceding year may not be entered in the current year.
- Appropriate concert attire is suggested.
- Please be ready to perform 5 minutes before your assigned audition time, or risk disqualification.
- The concert date for the winners is April 12.
- The Concerto Competition Committee reserves the right to disqualify anyone not competing within the spirit of the rules and competition. Should you have any doubts about eligibility or questions about the rules, please contact Felix Wang.
- Good luck!