Vanderbilt Percussion Group prepares for tour of Korea

Blair School of Music’s Vanderbilt Percussion Group will embark on a groundbreaking tour of Korea, December 6-13. Led by percussion professors Ji Hye Jung and Lee Vinson, the weeklong trip will include a performance at Seoul National University, a masterclass session at the Korean National University of Arts, attending a traditional Korean music concert at Gugak Center, and touring a historic palace.

The idea for the trip came from Jung’s recent studies in her native Korea, during which time she reconnected with the traditional music of the country. “When I was on my sabbatical, I thought about how it was when I first come to the U.S.; the whole culture change. I want to open up the world to our students and let them see what’s out there.”

The trip will serve as the Immersion Vanderbilt Project for all ten traveling students, who will perform their final performance jury exams while abroad.  Traveling students include Trenton Brink, Gabe Chichka, Riley Hale, Alex Holloway, Jordan Katz, Hannah Lam, Ethan Malcolm, Matthew Oh, Sarang Shravan, and Bill Zhang

Look for updates on the Vanderbilt Percussion Group’s travels on the Blair social media channels.

Vanderbitl Percussion Group
Vanderbilt Percussion Group. Back row (L-R) Lee Vinson, adjunct assistant professor of percussion; Sarang Shravan, Gabe Chichka, Trenton Brink, Ethan Malcolm, Jordan Katz, Riley Hale. Front row: Bill Zhang, Alex, Holloway, Hannah Lam, Ji Hye Jung, associate professor of percussion; Matthew Oh.