The Blair Academy fiddling program offers a holistic approach in teaching children to play, using the Suzuki philosophy to build solid technique and tone, mixed with the "Fiddle and Song" curriculum created by Crystal Wiegman. Students learn traditional fiddle music in a program that incorporates ear training, singing, harmonies, improvisation and arranging.
Introductory classical and historical folk styles, including old-time, bluegrass, Irish, Scottish, Texas swing and other world styles, are taught. Beginning students have 30-minute weekly private lessons and small group experience. Program recitals are also held at the end of each semester.
This high-demand program is directed by Crystal Plohman Wiegman. Contact her to inquire about openings at 615-343-6360 or via email.
When ready to register, email the Blair Academy Registrar, Arianna Schickel or call her at 615-322-7655 for instructions. Registration can be completed by clicking here.
Spring 2023 Courses
Programs and Classes
- Blair Academy Student Handbook
- Register for Academy Classes
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Vanderbilt Youth Orchestras
- Blair Children’s Chorus
- Blair Suzuki Program
- Private Lessons
- Chamber Music and Collaborative Piano
- Beginning and Partner Piano
- Music Theory and Musicianship
- Musicology and Ethnomusicology
- Blair Hit Songwriter Series